Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

We have a 2 small budgies and just noticed past 2 days the

Hi there we have a 2 small budgies and just noticed past 2 days the female making some new noise n have like a little bulge on her belly, the sound sounds like maybe pain
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Its a bird - budgie
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Fendi :)
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yeah I typed the other message that didnt go thru - also part of her beak that is getting darker and thicker as she ages, noticed one part is gone must happen today

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
please
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Interested for someone to assist
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith. I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action. From your description it sounds like Fendi is preparing to lay an egg. It's normal for them to make new vocalizations, start rooting around at the bottom or corners of the cage, breathe a little heavier, tail bob a little as they prepare to lay. If she starts to stay at the bottom of the cage breathing harder and tail bobbing for more than a few hours it could mean she's eggbound, having difficulty laying her egg. I'll send you information about how to deal with that in case it becomes an issue. She'll lay an egg every other day until she finishes a clutch of eggs. Normally that will be 4 to 6 eggs but may be fewer for her first clutch.
For eggbinding keep her in a warm (mid 80's F) and very humid environment. That can be a bathroom you heat up and then run a shower periodically to fog up the room. 90% of eggboubd birds will lay the egg within 24 hours if being kept in sauna like conditions.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

Many thanks Dr Jeanne, I have googled the possible causes and one off them was about possibility of laying eggs or eggbinding so will see how it goes with her, will try the bathroom trick as well. Another problem was the nostrils / cere- I was reading about it online as well and what I found out Fendi has most probably the crusty overgrowth there and yesterday we noticed the left part is no more there, so not sure how that happen etc but the nostril now looks normal/flat as with the male we have. Is it recommended to treat it? What about the other half that is still left, try vet and remove or just leave as is? Many thanks again really appreciate ur help

Female budgies' ceres ebb and flow with their hormones. They get extra layers from time to time that usually flake off on their own. Sometimes they can get quite big and not come off easily, known as brown cere hypertrophy . It isn't a problem for the burd but can be soaked with warm water and genttlybpried off if it bothers the owner.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Perfect many thanks. And if you dont mind me asking one more question - we have a male, his name is ***** ***** 2y old - he has a problem of non stop molting, he looses a lot of feathers and especially his head is always covered with those spiky keratin growing feathers. Like really non stop he looses his tail approximately every 2 months. Is this parasite infection or is it just some genetic condition? Fendi doesnt have it, she doesn't loose much feathers although they are different types, Gucci is green australian n she is bit smaller head cant remember the other type. I have bought Beaphar Anti parasite spot on drops but not applied yet for him. Thank you
If Gucci doesn't act itchy or pull his feathers out it's just a quirk of his. If he dies act itchy and scratch, rub or pull his feathers out it can be a bacterial, fungal, or parasite infection and needs to be diagnosed and treated by a veterinarian familiar with birds.
Jeanne Smith,
Experience: owner at Avian Health Services
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Many thanks Jeanne for your wonderful service thank you so much, Gucci and Fendi say tweet tweet too xx
You're very welcome!