Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

My cockatiel is moving kind of slow, she is still eating and

Hi there, my cockatiel is moving kind of slow, she is still eating and drinking, but I can't affort to take her to vet. But I don't want her to die as well. She's sleeping more than usual and she's fluffed up. What can I do to help her? I do mention I have another cockatiel and he's just fine. It's her pair.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cockatiel been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: 2 weeks now. She's eating a bit more than usual. I always make sure they have fresh water and food
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: I did fed them some monkey nuts
JA: What's the cockatiel's name?
Customer: Yuki
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Yuki?
Customer: Her power to fly has diminished
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith.  I just came on line and saw your request.  I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner.  I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action.  I'll be reading your question and typing a response for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi there, Dr. Smith nice talking to you. Sure I'll wait. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I would like it in text, that way I can always check and have the information easily to access. But thank you appreciate that.

I'll give you things that can help get and won't hurt her. If this is a mild or low grade infection it may be enough for her to recover on her own.

Go to a store that sells reptile supplies and get a reptile night light.  These are 75-100 watt blue,  red,  or ceramic bulbs that put out heat but not visible light.  Set it up in a clamplight or desk lamp to the side of the cage where she can perch next to it or move away from it . You can leave it on 24/7  without disturbing their sleep. Radiant heat like that really helps sick birds to recover.  You can crush fresh garlic and mix 1/4 clove per 8 ounces drinking water.  It's a natural antibiotic and immune stimulant.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
as her diet? Should I make it more on vegetables than seeds or just keep it as balanced as possible?

Offer her favorite foods for now to make sure she keeps eating.

In general you don't want to feed high fat foods like sunflower seeds or nuts . A pelletized diet or a cockatiel seed mix and vegetables is good. Dies she lay eggs?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She didn't lay any eggs yet
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I got the pair 1 year ago
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She was 6 months old at the time and the male 1y and half, he's pretty naughty and protective of her
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They are otside now on top of the canarie cage
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (L137T51)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
that's how she sits around for days, I do mention the temperature in yhe house is always at 27-30 degrees Celsius

As long as she doesn't lay eggs the cockatiel seed mix is fine and give a bird multivitamin in the drinking water at 1/4 strength what the label says so they'll drink it.

Whenever a bird Puffs out their feathers it means they feel chilled. Supplemental heat will help no matter how warm the house is if she's fluffed up like that.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Appreciate that, but this is why I am using this app, the rest of the money I'll use to buy the light bulb and the vitamins as I don't want her to suffer. Hope that's not an inconvenience. Thank you

You're welcome.