Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

We seem to have had a birds nest hatch in our loft, they are

Customer Question

hello, we seem to have had a birds nest hatch in our loft
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: they are young chicks but can't access them making a lot of distressed noises
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: I don't think they are hurt, just stuck
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: it's not a pet I was just wondering on advice as to how to help them/contact
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No just wondering and local services that could safely remove them
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

The RSPB are the best people to contact in the UK. I will pop a link below.

Generally though it is best to leave a nest well a alone and let the parents sort the chicks out as they may reject them if you move the nest.

It is annoying to have a birds nest in the loft, they do make a lot of noise especially early in the morning. When these have fledged you might want to try and close the hole.

All bird nests are protected by law. It is illegal to intentionally disturb or destroy the active nest of any wild bird.

Birds should be allowed to nest wherever there is no conflict. Roofs are vital sanctuaries for them all because of the loss of natural nest sites. They do need our help, so, if at all possible, please allow them to access to nest in your roof but if the roof must be sealed off, place nest boxes under the eaves for starlings, sparrows, swifts, swallows and house martins.

If you must deter birds from nesting in your roof, work to deny access must be done during the winter months when they are not nesting (note: pigeons can nest throughout the year).