Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

My Mom has a cockatiel, and the Doctor visit her. and said

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Good evening
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my Mom has a cockatiel, and the Doctor visit her. and said need the treatment for sinusitis
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cockatiel
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?
Customer: My mom's pet is a kind of small parrot and she suffer from sinusitis
JA: Where does the parrot seem to hurt?
Customer: need some treatment for that
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: ok, look she suffer from sinusitis . she didn't hurt
JA: Is the parrot eating normally?
Customer: yes,
Sneezing and when Doctor visited her. told us, she need treatment for sinusitis
JA: OK. No appetite problems. What is the parrot's name and age?
Customer: her Name is ***** ***** she's 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that's it
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
she suffer from the upper respiratory inflammation
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

I’m sorry to hear that Jelly is unwell.

If a vet has already seen Jelly and made a diagnosis can you ask the vet to dispense the medication he recommended?

In the UK only the veterinary surgeon who examined the pet can prescribe treatment for the condition it was examined for. IF the vet gave you a written prescription on a piece of paper you can search online for a pet pharmacy and they can send you medication in the post after seeing the paper prescription.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, my cockatiel is living with my mom in Iran. the Iranian veterinary visited Jelly and said jelly suffer ftom this problem. and because I live in London, asked me if I can ask a British veterinary to give me a medicine to send them for Jelly.
unfortunately, in Iran we don't have this type of medicines for pet. Could you please help us?

I'm sorry legally I cannot prescribe medicine for a pet I have not examined. There are very strict rules about sending medicines abroad internationally.

It would be best to contact the vet in Iran and UK customs and Iran customs imports to see if this is a viable option for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want to travel to Iran in next week for 10 days, So I can take it by myself. what can I do to write a prescription for jelly? I can send her sneezing's voice or I can ask iranian vet to write description and send it to you to make sure. please help Jelly

You will still need to contact UK and Iran customs (government department for importing drugs). The vet who examined Jelly in Iran can then send you a prescription for medicine.

If you can email the vet in Iran and ask if a nebuliser is suitable then you can definitely take a nebuliser in your suitcase. They are relatively inexpensive online and when you get to Iran you can make a salt water solution or buy saline in a pharmacy there.

Here is link to a useful youtube video that describes how to nebulise a pet bird

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
there is no any way that, you give me a prescription for her?
I need an effective medicine

Nebulisation with saline can help a lot of birds with upper respiratory tract infections if you cannot get hold of the correct medicine.

Also look at the air quality. Never use spray cleaning products in the house, bleach or perfume. Never use nonstick frying pans either as this will cause respiratory tract inflammation in your pet bird.

There is no legal way for a vet to give you a prescription. It can only be the vet who examined Jelly in Iran who can do that.

If you can contact the vet via email it might be easier to try and find a solution.

A nebuliser is a really good start though.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok
thank you.
well, Could you please let me know for this problem which medicines is in UK, to ask my iraninan vet to write and send me.

I legally cannot suggest which medicines you should use. If the Iranian vet prescribes a medicine that is unavailable in the UK the pharmacy will likely suggest a suitable alternative to use.

It would be a more fruitful for the Iranian vet to get in contact with a UK bird vet to discuss the case directly. I'm not trying to be unhelpful at all, but I do have to remain within the laws of the UK.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I mean in this way I can ask my Iranian Veterinarian to write that exact medicine as prescription. I talked to her last night, she said I don't know which medicines are for this problem in UK to wrote as a prescription for you.
Please in this case help me. Jelly really suffer, she's innocent

The best way is to get your vet in Iran to email a bird vet in the UK and discuss the case. I really cannot type the name of medicine here that might be suitable as that may constitute a breach of UK law. If your vet contacts a vet in the UK they can more freely discuss the names of medicines.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is it possible that she contact you?

I cannot give out my personal details. The best thing would be ask the vet to email an avian vet practice in the UK to start the conversation. There are several international facebook vet groups that she might be able to join where vets can ask for advice on specific cases.