Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

We suspect that our bird has a Broken Blood Wing, Cockatiel,

We suspect that our bird has a Broken Blood Wing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: Cockatiel
JA: How badly is the cockatiel bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: We're not sure. We noticed it a few days ago- Dry blood.
JA: And what's the cockatiel's name and age?
Customer: Coco, less than a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We think that it's birthday is ***** July, but we're not 100% certain, and we're unsure of its gender
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (4TQ3L36)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (Z356ZS3)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

I’m sorry to hear that Coco is unwell.

Did you notice Coco injury himself or did you just notice the blood stained feather one day?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We're trying to train coco whenever we're home as we're often working away, letting her younger sister and family look after her. We're the ones that she trusts the most, and even then she's very timid coming out of the cage on her own. She often bites her feathers recently too

Ok do you think Coco has been biting her wing and causing the damage?

Can Coco still fly?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don't have the money to pay for a live call unfortunately sorry

That's fine I'm happy to continue with the text chat

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My girlfriend trims her wings slightly so that we can train her, but we stopped after we noticed the graze
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Whenever coco comes out we always comfort her and reward her with a mullet or something and always put her back. We noticed because her wing looked odd

Yes please don not trim feathers. It can actually cause infection to travel up the shaft of the feather and into the wing itself

If this is feather plucking then it can be caused by a myriad of different things. I'll jot some down just now.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My girlfriend goes to college, and did a small course on how to trim and stuff. Last time we trimmed the wings was about 2 months ago and that'll be very helpful thank you. I attached a picture earlier too. I also apologise for my delayed replies, I'm currently finishing work

The most common causes of feather plucking are;

nutritional deficiencies (very common in pet birds)

parasites

boredom or stress (lack of feathered friends)

allergy

separation anxiety

sexual frustration (lack of partner)

inflammation in the skin

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much this helps a lot, and what can you tell me regarding the photo I attached before
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (QZ67P51)

I'll attach a link to a fact sheet so you can read the information.

I would advise in the first instance you contact your local vet practice. I would advise Coco start anti-inflammatory medication to reduce any pain and inflammation.

It looks like a blood stained feather. But it is a photo and without looking at the bird in real life I cannot be sure thats definitely what's going on. I suspect there is damage to the blood vessels in the feather. This is likely to be sore.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Replying to your message, I'm planning on going to a vet when I'm paid on Friday. I'm trying to find the cheapest and most efficient one near me at the moment

If the problem does not resolve after 2 weeks anti inflammatory then you will need to work through the list of above problems until you have the cause or causes (its often more than one cause)

You can use this link to find your nearest vet clinic;

https://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/home/

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Brilliant! Thank you so much! One more thing. May I ask what you think gender coco is as we're unsure:

How old is Coco?

Its almost impossible to tell. Adult males tend to be more colourful and females more full.

Males tend to have no colour under the tail.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She's less than a year old. I believe her birthday was 5th July
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also quick question. How much would it roughly come to at a vetinary practice for a cockatiel to get looked at, including healty checks, anti-flammatory tablets, its wing looked at properly, etc? Just so I know roughly how much to put aside

Probably too young to tell if male or female on colour alone.

I cannot provide an estimate for a practice but they will be able to do this for you over the phone. Use this link to find a clinic near you;

https://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/home/