Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

He very tired fluffed up motion Bright water. He seen a vet

Customer Question

He very tired fluffed up motion Bright green water . He seen a vet around 4 week ago had 2 injection seem to.inporve but know the same has he was before seeing vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: Budgies
JA: How has the budgie's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: He was eating till yesterday stool very green bright green watery
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No he dosent like to come of his cage
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: Rio 15 to 16 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Rio?
Customer: No we tuck to a vet at Easter and he was given 2 injection the said something might be to do with his kidney
Category: Bird
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

I’m sorry to hear that your budgie is unwell.

Kidneys are organs that filter out the waste products from the blood stream and make urine (called urates in birds). When the kidneys start to go wrong unfortunately there isn't really a cure. Before the kidneys fail completely you can give supportive treatment to try and make the patient feel better. It sounds like this is what happened before. Rio was not cured but the vet managed to make Rio feel better for while.

If the previous treatment worked even if only for a while it is worth asking theft if it's appropriate to repeat the treatment.

If the vet hasn't already seen a sample of the droppings you could ask them if this would be helpful. They may be able to get a sample to the lab and get some more answers about what is going on.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thank you for your help

You might also want to chat with the vet about supplementary feeding as green poop can be sign that Rio isn't digesting the food properly.

Something like this may be helpful;

https://lafeber.com/vet/lafeber-products/emeraid-omnivore-400gr/