JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My 12 week old pekin duck is still limping. Almost as if

Customer Question

My 12 week old pekin duck is still limping. Almost as if it’s prioritising one leg over the other. He likes to lay down a lot. 2 weeks ago I was advised a food change to proper water fowl diet but I’m scared it isn’t working and I’m trying to act as fast as I can. Currently feeding small holder goose and duck starter crumb been feeding this for around 2 weeks as well as niacin rich foods like garden peas and tuna. My duck doesn’t really like to stand up straight ethier
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 16 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Jake Im a UK based vet, welcome to justanswer. im sorry about your concerns with your pet duck. 

when did the limping start?

is he still eating and drinking?

is there any swelling of the leg?

are you able to sent over a photo of the leg that he isnt walking on?

thanks

Dr jake

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi dr jake
My duck has always been a bit stumbley since hatching but around 4 weeks old a gradual limp. And has gotten slightly worse. I can’t see any swelling but you might know better here is some photos
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Here is a photo
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Another
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 16 days ago.

hi thanks very much for the photos. the foot/ leg looks normal from the angle i can see. i cant see any obvious wounds or swellings. there may be something hidden i cant see further up the leg under the feather at the thigh bone in ducks is quite high up the body. i would recommend making an appointment with a local vet who is able to see birds who can do a full examination of your duck and feel the legs to see if they can source areas of pain or swellings that cant be seen on the photo and also so they can feel the femur / thigh bone further up the leg

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 16 days ago.

other common sources of pain on ducks are the underside of the foot so i would double check there arent any sores or wounds here

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Great thanks for that information. I will look into getting that checked. Could there be a chance this is a niacin deficiency
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 16 days ago.

no problem at all, it is a possibility though this often happens to both legs causing obvious bowling of the legs and can make them lethargic, not eat etc.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This is another photo of my duck as you can see he Stands like this on his other leg. Almost slightly bowed ?
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

hi thanks for the photo, it doesnt look obviously bowed in that direction though in the photo he is weight bearing more on the back of the foot which may be normal for him or may just be due to the surface he is standing on

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

and he will be taking more weight on this leg also from not using the affected leg so may alter the way it looks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ah I se what you mean thanks for that jake some great knowledge there
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

no problem at all, il close the question but we can still keep chatting fi you have any further questions, i hope you can find a vet to examine your duck and find out whats going on

thanks

Dr Jake