S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

He cant use his legs, conure, 2 hours ago, yoshi age not

Customer Question

he cant use his legs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: conure
JA: Does anything look different with the unknown-word's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: 2 hours ago
JA: And what's the unknown-word's name and age?
Customer: yoshi age not sure iv had him 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he can fly but not able to use legs
Category: Bird
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 20 days ago.

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; owner BrokenBirds.org.

If you see offers for phone service please just ignore them - they are not from me. I am not set up for them.

Please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent contributors here. I’m not allowed to see when you’ve posted, if there has been a delay, I’m sorry - this is the first I’ve seen this. I am typing up for you right now.

Please be patient with me & thank you

As unusual as it may sound, when a bird loses control of their feet, grasping ability or balance without being physically injured, may be the result of an internal problem. --- Many owners will be convinced their bird has somehow broken their foot or leg when they see these symptoms of inability to stand (or difficulty), perching problems, loss of balance or holding their leg/foot clenched. --- Let’s go over a few of the more common:

--

Fatty liver disease is something that is often seen in a bird on a seed only or predominantly seed diet. No matter how much the manufacturer insists they are fortified and healthy, they are misleading all of us.

--- Skeletal problems, deficiencies and even toxicities can cause a loss of balance and restlessness in some birds, as well as the more common symptoms such as breathing difficulties, open mouthed breathing and so on.

--- A surprise to many owners is that a crop problem can be behind the symptoms too. Anything that contributes to an electrolyte imbalance/nutritional

--- As with all things that might go wrong with our feathered friends, early intervention gives us a better chance at keeping them around a bit longer.

--- Blood chemistries and X-rays should be expected (and encouraged).

--- Have your vet perform a blood serum test for zinc levels (just in case your vet isn’t an avian vet, zinc levels over 2 ppm are positive for zinc toxicity). There will also likely be elevated WBC’s (white blood count).

-----------------------------------

In the meantime, yes, you can try a couple of things at home:  About a 1/2 teaspoon of glucosamine to one cup of water helps with some deficiencies.  Exactly what you'd buy for yourself and arthritic joints.

--

You can also put a dab of it on your finger and put that to the side of his beak so he has to ingest it

--

Try some human baby food in the way of sweet potatoes, carrots, squash -- tap a spoon of this to the underside of his upper beak so he has to taste it.  Chances are he'll want to know where you're putting it.

--

A regular calcium antacid like Tums - no aspirin or other additives - is sometimes thought to be a treat if you present it right.

--

I'll be here for you all the way -  just keep me in the loop

-

Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.

- Any pet store in your area that sells birds should have recommendations.

- Any vet in your area should be able to refer you to another vet who sees birds.

-

https://birdline.co.uk/welfare/avian-vets/

--

https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

- International

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
what can i do right now to give him comfort i dont have baby food or glucosame

Brooder box:

For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts. - Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths. - A heating pad under the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees). - If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully. - Drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low. ---