Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My budgie has a sore patch under her wind which seems to

Customer Question

Hi, my budgie has a sore patch under her wind which seems to have bled.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she’s 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, I’ve not had a response. Is a vet still working on this question please ?
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.

Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.

1. Miconahex Spray

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.

2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation. Many other brands can be found with hydrocortisone too.

Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical hydrocortisone can assist with itch and inflammation.

The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.

Often an E-collar can be most beneficial to help physically not allow them to lick the area any more. These go on the neck and look like a reverse lampshade. They can be found often like at pet stores or online like Amazon. An Ecollar may be considered while an area is healing to prevent picking at it as much also.

If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.

The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
  2. Duoxo pyo spray

3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Yoyo  today. I wish Yo-yo  a speedy recovery and have a wonderful day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you so much Mike, yes I am in the UK. I can see the Duoxo spray and synergy labs itch relief is on Amazon however as this seems to relate to cats and dogs, how much of this spray should administers since my budgie is so small ?
How can I know how much to use ?
Many Thanks
I love your country, have been there many times and my last name is ***** ***** Scottish Clan comes from Glenoe, Scotland.   

There is not a right or wrong amount as it is topical. Simply cover the affected areas with it.

Keep me updated moving forward if more questions arise , as I am here daily.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That’s wonderful, it’s been a pleasure to meet you and Thank you for the advice. It’s so difficult to find a vet that treats budgies here !
Thank you, ***** ***** keep you updated.
Best regards.
Nice to chat with you my friend. Have a wonderful weekend:-).