S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

I have a lovebird and I accidentally stood on him yesterday

I have a lovebird and I accidentally stood on him yesterday when he was on the floor unexpectedly. He seems to be nursing his right wing and is not flying, his stretching it out and did fly off when it happened but is now very quiet and just sitting in his cage. I don't want to stress him out. Do I take him to a avery vet or wait a few days?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the lovebird's situation?
Customer: His very active usually, out all day normally, he is eating and drinking but not really flying.
JA: What environment do you keep the lovebird in? Does he interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: No, it's just him
JA: And what's the lovebird's name and age?
Customer: Archie and his about 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Archie?
Customer: No, I don't think so

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; bird behavior specialist and owner BrokenBirds.org.

- We experts are not employees of Just Answer, but work independently here. We are not aware of when you posted your question - so if there has been a delay I’m truly sorry, but this is the first I’ve seen this.

- Please ignore offers for premium/phone svc. They are not generated by me and I am not set up to participate in these options. Stand by while I type up (thank you)

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK, thank you

You might be looking at an internal injury that may be skeletal (a broken or fracture bone) - muscular (strain/sprain) or even internal bleed (not likely, but possible).

--- 

A fracture or break makes the bird prone to infection which can happen pretty quickly so a hands on examination is essential in order to first diagnose what's wrong and then actually treat it.

--

There is no at home treatment option until the problem is determined.  Let's say your human toddler falls and ends up favoring a leg.  Do you decide to treat it yourself or do you get that child to a doctor and likely x-rays to figure out why they favor that leg?

--

How far is too far; how much is too much (to spend) on your toddler?

-

That's what we must ask ourselves even when it's a feathered 'toddler'.  Your bird has the human mental and emotional development and sentience as a human 3-4 year old.

--

Another rather harsh, but true factor here is that in some 20- plus years working with birds I've seen only one succumb to being brought in for a hands on exam and it was an elderly macaw with heart disease.

--

Other than that - I've seen a huge percentage of birds die from not being brought in as compared to those who are (brought in.

--

When it comes to injuries you can’t see, you must keep reminding yourself that birds, probably more than most other species of animal, have overwhelming instincts that drive them to hide illness, weakness or injury at all cost. They will often eat, drink, behave and even vocalize quite normally until they can’t maintain the act any longer.

--- By the time we see symptoms, it is usually pretty severe, sometimes it’s even too late to fix.

--- This is why I encourage you to trust your own instincts first and foremost. Don’t talk yourself out of a vet or clinic visit and with a bird that has been injured it’s rarely a good idea to wait and see how it goes.

--- Fractures, breaks and other traumas that cannot be seen may become infected at the internal site or heal so badly that the bird ends up paralyzed, arthritic or with other complications that no bird should have to live with. ---

Now it's up to you.  Only you know your bird well enough to make a decision based on what you're seeing, your instincts and gut feelings

--

You got this, right?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you. I've found a avery vet that is not too far away but is not open until tomorrow to call, i just want to do what ever is best for him, I just didn't want anymore stress on him by travelling to the vets. Can they treat such a small bird.

It may not be a question of "treatment" - depending on what it is and where; however, a precautionary option of an antibiotic and keeping your baby on 'rest' for a while.  That is: Limiting flight and flapping - which of course he's doing by himself already.

--

Also - pain management.  If he's going off his food and producing scant or no droppings it's likely due to pain.

--

The vet is your only option to get appropriate meds prescribed.

--

Until tomorrow - just keep him calm and go with his choices as to what he can and cannot do.

---   Keep me in the loop, yes?  ---

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. He is eating and drinking fine which I've seen as a good sign and I've left him to rest up in his cage but his doors open and free to move around if he chooses.

You're right in that he's eating/drinking as usual is a good indicator.  Continue to trust your gut.  No one knows your bird better than you do

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you again.

Anytime!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Just a quick update for you, Archie has been checked over by an avery vet and has prescribed anti inflammatory meds for a week but nothing broken or fractured.
nbsp;  Thank you so so much for letting me know.   And for doing right by Archie