Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

My new baby bird will not eat baby formula food But

My new baby bird will not eat baby formula food But struggling to eat whole food too My baby bird won’t eat baby formula
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: it’s a budgie
JA: When did you first notice this decrease in the budgie's appetite? Any changes in energy?
Customer: i noticed today
JA: Does the budgie seem to be in any pain?
Customer: still energetic not in pain its a baby
JA: What's the budgie's name?
Customer: Snow
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Snow?
Customer: its a baby, around 4 weeks old, I got it from a breeder, it doesn’t like baby formula food, but struggle to eat whole food, I tried warming up to around 40 degrees, use a syringe and gently press on the side of its beak but nothing works It moves everywhere and scream and shake off the baby food doesnt seem too scared of me tho as it climbs to me
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith.  I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action.  At 4 weeks of age a budgie becomes very difficult to handfeed. They are starting the weaning process. I'll be right back with suggestions.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sure thanks a lot
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That’s how it looks like, it’s not pooing as much and mostly watery, how do I encourage it to eat ?

Continue to offer formula twice daily but don't force him. Also, try offering it in a spoon instead of syringe.  Also offer things like broken up cheerios, pelletized food for budgies (these are very small, millet size or smaller) and crushed millet seed. Don't forget to also teach him to drink water from a bowl or water bottle . You can do that with a water bottle by letting him nibble at the tip and get water.

You can encourage him to eat by spreading the things I suggested on a small towel and "pecking" it with uour index finger in front of him. If you have another budgie let him see the other one eating these things.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I tried spoon too, it completely ignore it, and I tried every 30 mins and been very gentle but doesn’t want it at all. I will try the whole food you suggrated, and if it is not eating the baby formula, how do I know it’s eating enough?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you so much

If you have a food scale weigh him every morning before feeding him to make sure he's maintaining his weight or not losing more than 2 or 3 grams.  If he's losing 3 grams you unfortunately have to tube feed him formula.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, in case he is loosing weight, can u suggest me how to do tube feeding?

The droppings also tell you if gets eating enough but body weight is much more accurate.  If he passes droppings with tiny amounts of very deep green, almost black feces or feces with no form it means he isn't eating enough.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
that’s how it’s droppings look like, watery with deep green drops

You would have to buy a feeding cannula or a butterfly catheter to put on the syringe. With a butterfly catheter you trim off the tubing about 2 inches from the attachment for the syringe.  Draw food up through the tube into the syringe. Hold his head with neck fully extended and slide the tube down his right side of his throat to the crop at the base then push the syringe plunger.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will try using whole food now immediately and chop it smaller, if it is completely uninterested, should I choose tube feed then?

Yes. Tube feed if can't get him eating by the other means.