Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Our chicken is wheezing, No coughing, it started this

Customer Question

Our chicken is wheezing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this wheezing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the chicken have a cough as well?
Customer: No coughing, it started this afternoon and it’s a constant wheezing noise
JA: And what's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: Elizapeck she’s at least 4 years old but we don’t know for sure
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she’s eating normally, has 3 chicks about 5 months old
Category: Bird
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Elizapeck (!).

In any case of respiratory illness, it's important to know if you're dealing with a viral, bacterial, fungal, or parasitic disease. The treatment for one disease may be ineffective or even harmful to others. Respiratory infections in poultry have several causes but outward signs may appear similar to the flock owner. To make a diagnosis, an avian vet (bvpa.org.uk or local poultry vet) will perform several tests including bacterial cultures of the airways, blood tests, and necropsies* of dead birds (or sacrificed badly ill birds) if they're available.

Regrettably, the UK doesn't allow chicken owners to purchase antibiotics over the counter for them.  An avian vet is likely to prescribe tylosin, enrofloxacin, or amoxicillin/clavulanate.

No antibiotic, however, is able to completely rid my patient of these infectious organisms. Birds remain carriers and sources of infection others. (Please note that we have limited data of tylosin administered orally to chicken layers. For the use of injectable tylosin in laying hens, FARAD now recommends an 8-week egg discard period.) Please also note that the majority of these chickens will go into remission unaided within 10-14 days from the onset of their symptoms.

*Dead birds should be refrigerated - not frozen – until they can be necropsied. Your best course of action might be to reach out to your state or county-extension poultry personnel, veterinary school pathology service, British Veterinary Poultry organisation (bvpa.org.uk) or avian-oriented veterinarian for help in that regard. This is how we might know how to address the rest of your flock.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.  If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert.  You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.