Jeanne Smith
Jeanne Smith,
Experience:  owner at Avian Health Services
106190230

Duck wobbly on feet, don’t know if it’s hurt it’s hip or

Customer Question

Hi duck wobbly on feet, don’t know if it’s hurt it’s hip or something else
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did the duck's hip start hurting?
Customer: hi yesterday walks then falls over
JA: What environment do you keep the duck in? Are there other pets or animals around?
Customer: outside with one other duck and there is a cat next door
JA: What's the duck's name and age?
Customer: its about 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no I read that if they niacin it can effect their walking balance it sits with it leg straight out
Category: Bird
Expert:  Jeanne Smith replied 13 days ago.
Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith.  I just came on line and saw your request. I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner. I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action.  I'll be reading your question and typing a response for a few minutes.

With a sudden onset of severe lameness like you've described,  niacin deficiency is unlikely.  It's most likely the duck has injured herself. You can try feeling each joint and bone on the bad leg comparing to the good leg. You're feeling for any swelling or abnormal instability of a joint or bone. Manipulate each joint and see if one can move more or in a different direction than the corresponding joint on the good leg. I'll send you a diagram of bird leg anatomy so you can tell Mr if you find an abnormality  where it is.

It can be difficult to feel duck hips, femur and knees because of how heavily feathered and muscled they are. If there's a significant joint injury like a partial dislocation or complete dislocation the prognosis is poor for recovery. If you find a broken bone a veterinarian can splint it or pin it to repair it. If you can't find anything you can either assume it's a soft tissue injury that may become better over time with small pen rest and antinflammatory treatment or you can take her to a veterinarian to examine her and possibly x ray her.

You can give ibuprofen to her by crushing a 200 mg tablet and mixing with 3 cups drinking water.