S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Work w/Avian Vet; published bird care nutrition& behavior articles; consults, research
1604863

My budgie has a lump, ive noticed it just now near her back

My budgie has a lump
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where on the budgie's body is the lump? When did you first notice it?
Customer: ive noticed it just now near her back end
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: enfys and shes 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Enfys?
Customer: ni no

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; owner BrokenBirds.org.

Please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independents here. We are not told when you posted your question so delays are not my fault - this is the first I’ve seen your post

Does the lump feel like there's something in it - OR - does it feel like it's a balloon

(air in it) ?

--------------

Seed or pellet diet for the past year?

Any fresh foods on a regular basis?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Shes had seed food, and it feels like there is something in it. I think you can see vein like lines in it
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No she hasnt had fresh foods she didnt eat them
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would a picture help?

I can't feel the lump with a  picture.  You have to do the exam for me

A pic of exactly where the lump is may help, so yes, thank you

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok it feels more hard than air
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (TV2Q71S)

Hang on I'm going to try to attach a photo for you. I've never done this before

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you

Rather than an air sac issue - this looks like a "lipoma" (fatty tumor)

My computer is frozen - I need to re boot -  hoping this message get thru

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Its either the yellow or the blue area on her
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But its more on the outer of her

Lipomas are a possibility - a sort of fatty tumor that can be as small as a pimple or so large that when on the lower chest or abdominal area, the bird has difficulty perching and even walking.

--- These aren’t actually ‘tumors’, but can be troublesome when the bird picks at them, causing bleeding and making them prone to infection.

--- Cancerous Liposarcomas look very much like Lipomas, but are far less common. Liposarcomas are dangerous, will usually metastasize to other areas and need early, expert treatment to help insure survival.

--- Skin Cancer by the way is very uncommon in pet birds.

--- Treatment for lipomas are usually to excise them (surgical), but other options are to make a small incision and vacuum the contents out (liposuction) or to inject the growth with steroids or other choice drugs in the hope of atrophying the tissue in the hopes of it not spreading. This is called lipolysis and is the least preferred option since it doesn’t remove the growth and may contribute to complications.

--- Liposuction is also not preferred since it rarely removes all of the growth and recurrence needs to be addressed every time. In the long run, surgical removal is really the least costly and most effective.

--- The sooner these are addressed by your vet the better the outcome and much easier to control. ---

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (PMV5172)

Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.

- Any pet store in your area that sells birds should have recommendations. -

Any vet in your area should be able to refer you to another vet who sees birds. -

https://birdline.co.uk/welfare/avian-vets/

--

https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

- International

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (ZLLPZ33)

Really does need veterinary intervention..  We can't even begin to treat this at home