Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 530i registered in 2003. For about 5mins or so when

I have a 530i registered in 2003. For about 5mins or so when I first start driving, the headlights will dim and then become bright again, eventually settling down. Sometimes when the rear windows are opened and I come to close them, they will close and then re-open halfway down. Last week, when I turned on the ignition I had a message on the screen which indicated a transmission problem, but the car started first time and the message has not appeared since. Any ideas?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your BMW.

Do you know when the battery was last replaced or if the battery may be an original battery?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had the car for the last 6 years and cannot remember having a new battery.The mileage is 38850 which is of course very low for the car's age.

Hello Barry,

Thank you for the additional information. I would recommend starting with a battery replacement for the lighting issue. 6 years is actually a decent life span for a BMW battery and with low mileage this often means the battery state of charge and life is less as the battery is more prone to discharging as the vehicle sits or due to short distance driving. The alternator can often fail as a result of a weak battery and I think the change in lighting is from when the alternator is able to take up the slack of the battery can get a surface charge to the battery which brings up the voltage.

The transmission warning light may even be directly related to a quick low voltage event that occurred. Often once the vehicle is restarted the fault will then no longer appear as long as the correct voltage is restored.

For the anti trapping windows, the most common failure is the window motors getting tired but in your case it may be due to low voltage.

I would recommend a new battery and a charger that you use once a month to bring the battery up to a full charge which will prolong its life span.

I hope I have been helpful. Please provide a positive rating for my help today. An excellent rating is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Roger