Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

bmw 320 d tour the battery went flat jump started electrics

bmw 320 d tour the battery went flat jump started electrics gone haywire is it ok to still drive, and what needs to b done

hello

can you please clarify exactly what electronics are going haywire?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

all dashboard lights perm on, wipers working on their own, power steering not working,

what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what is the vin

the vehicle identification number. the official number on your registration, insurance, etc. it is located in the lower corner of the windscreen or on any of the car's paperwork
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ej16730

thank you for confirming. please do not forget to select a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

this vehicle does not have electronic steering

so, if the power steering is out, then either the pump has failed, the belt has broken or come off, or the fluid is low.

if the belt is off or broken, then you might also not have a functioning water pump, so if you drive the car, it could overheat, which could cause thousands in damage.

if the fluid is low, you could damage the steering components driving it

also, driving without power steering is really not safe as most people are not strong enough to make quick turns without power assist.

as for the electronics, I would suggest you check all fuses if you have not.

it is very difficult to pinpoint an issue like this remotely, as there are many possibilities for the cause and many hands on checks are required to verify

if the fuses check out then you may have a short, loose connection, failed control module, failed ignition switch, failing alternator and / or battery. if the belt is off, then this would not drive the alternator, which can give all kinds of weird issues. also the ignition switch is a prime suspect as it could cause the battery to drain and also the weird symptoms. It would be advisable to use a bmw specialist for hands on diagnostics.

at this time I would advise that you check the condition of the drive belt and power steering fluid level, if the belt is still on and the fluid is not low, you could technically drive the car to the workshop if you can steer it and the brakes and brake lights work, but I would not advise doing so for safety reasons.

best wishes with your repairs. please let me know if you have further questions. please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer. thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks for your help, one more question ,just a rough idea how expensive to fix problems.

it depends on what is found - of the possibilities the cost could vary GREATLY

a belt is about £40 plus install

an ignition switch £100 plus install

an alternator £400 plus install

a steering pump £300 plus install

modules can run £1000 or more plus install