Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 318d 09 reg. I have just tried to start the car

I have a BMW 318d 09 reg.
I have just tried to start the car and it wouldn't fire up.
The engine warning light is on.
What does the car do when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing happens
You get no response what so ever?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing, the engine seems completely dead. I only got it back yesterday from having a new rear bumper fitted after someone had run into me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can hear something trying to happen under the bonnet but it doesn't fire up..
Does the starter turn over? This is a very important distiction vs nothing at all happening...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I think so. I can hear something turning under the bonnet when I press the start button but it doesn't fire up.
The vehicle is not getting fuel or the glow plug plugs are not working properly. Check your fuses and see if any is blown, you can also unhook the battery for an hour to reset all systems, and try a second key if you have one, and lock/unlock the car manually a few times with the blade key. If this does not work you are likely dealing with a fuel pump or engine management failure, which will require proper diagnostics and parts replacement to rectify.

Sorry to have potentially bad news, please don't shoot the messenger, I can only give the honest answer. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honesty. I receive no credit until a positive rating is clicked.