Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I cant close the automatic soft top. I press the button but

I can't close the automatic soft top. I press the button but nothing happens. I only opened it an hour ago. Help!

hello and welcome to just answer,

what exactly have you tried to get the top up? and what have you checked?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried pressing the open button to ensure that it is fully open. I've tried the close button again on several occasions but nothing happens. I've left it for half an hour to let the computer settle down and tried again. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Is there a locking device that I don't know about?

What else can I try?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

unfortunately there is not a lot else you can try at home as this symptom generally indicated a failure within the top system (drive unit, sensor, control unit)

as for what you can try, you can unhook the car battery for an hour to preform a full reset, and you can check for any blown fuses

aside from this, the issue will not be fixable at home, without proper diagnostics, and without replacement parts

in order to get the top up, you can use the manual over ride as outlined in your owners manual, for your convenience I have uploaded the process at this link: CLICK HERE

sorry to have potentially bad news, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have done. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest answer, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.