Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

my satnav on 6 series bmw is not picking up the signals

hello

can you please clarify exactly what you mean by "is not picking up the signals" ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Steve,

When SatNav is selected, it loads, and appears ready for use. Destination etc can be inputed, start guidance is chosen, then nothing happens. The satnav just shows car location as being in Spain, on a global European map of continents showing. Ordinarily, map works because I can find addresses and streets, but it does not commence. BMW says they think its the antenna, and would have to strip open the bumper and check but not sure. They say to allow up to £700 for labour and parts. I have not gone back for the works. still puzzled. Car is 3 years and two months old and had it from new.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

thank you for clarifying

BMW has a service bulletin out on this concern

while it can be caused by a bad antenna, the more common cause is a hardware or software failure of the Host Independent Positioning (HIP) module.

BMW has released very specific computer testing and guidance for this type of issue to its dealers, so this needs to be carried out. the normal fix is a software update or replacement of the HIP module

If I were you I would complain to BMW customer service to have them involved in your case (and possibly involve the field engineer / area rep) and also ask for goodwill assistance with the cost of the repairs

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.