Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

im thinking of buying a 118d 2007 with 88k miles on the clock...

im thinking of buying a 118d 2007 with 88k miles on the clock... MOT certificates and repair bills seem to prove this mileage.
however when driving there is a noise from somewhere, the seller said he thought it was a flywheel but sounded more like bearings on a drive shaft to me.... is this a common problem and is it expensive to fix

Hello and welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

this isn't a terribly common problem but could potentially be very expensive to fix.

I would strongly, strongly advise that you forego this car unless the issue is 100% verified and fixed (professionally) prior to purchase.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

could you say what you think it is? i mean bearings shouldn't be too expensive.... which is what it sounds like...

I can buy the car for about £4000 which is cheap for car / age if it is minor repair.

to just say leave alone as it could be expensive, does not really answer what potentially problem could be

you did not ask what the problem could be, you asked "is this a common problem and is it expensive to fix "

as I am sure you can appreciated, It is very difficult to diagnose a noise that one cannot hear.

if it is the drive shaft bearing, it would not be terribly expensive. If it is the flywheel that would be expensive. if it is something internal to the transmission or engine, also very expensive.

as such, this is why I am advising to have he issue 100% verified prior to buying the car, as the noise could be something that would be VERY expensive to fix.