Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I was driving my 2005 BMW 530d Auto (Mileage 54K) on the motorway

I was driving my 2005 BMW 530d Auto (Mileage 54K) on the motorway yesterday when I lost power to the engine. I could hear the engine revving, but there was no throttle response. The engine light came on with the message, Increased Emissions. I managed to get the car home, but on slowing down the car was shaking and vibrating. Help!

hello

what faults are logged in the car's computer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The only msg is Increased Emissions and the yellow engine light is permanently on.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

these warning lights are not specific. they are only indented to inform the driver that an engine fault is present. there are about 200 things which can trigger the engine light, so it being on does not inform us of anything other than a fault being present

when these lights come on, the car logs a detailed record of the underlying fault in its computer memory, and these fault logs can be read out using proper diagnostic equipment. This is the ONLY way to verify why these lights are on.

From what you have described the car has gone into limp mode as the throttle is not responding. This would commonly be caused by a failed throttle, wiring harness or cooling system issue - BUT, as I said, the only way to verify is to have the fault logs read out. This is your next/only step at this time.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle