Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

My X3 3.0d M sport has white smoke out of the exhaust once

My X3 3.0d M sport has white smoke out of the exhaust once it has warmed up? is it a Turbo issue or CCV?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you with this.

Most often this is due to a failing turbo. One of the best tests is to inspect the turbo impellor to see how much oil is building up around the impellor and if the impellor has play. It was a good idea to replace the air valve unit first. One additional step you may want to consider before replacing the turbo would be to have the system cleaned of oil. Often oil build up in the piping, intercooler, and intake manifold. This can lead to the same symptom of smoking even after the CCV is replaced. It would be worth having the system cleaned out by removal and cleaning before replacement of the turbo, unless a problem is found in the impellor or if there is a build up of oil around the impellor inside the turbo. If decide to move ahead with the turbo it would also be a good idea to clean the system out to remove all of the oil that has built up.

I hope this is helpful. Please do not leave negative feedback for my honest answer as this goes directly against my rating. My goal is to help you until you are satisfied or I could release the question per your request for another expert. Please post back if I can help further. Please provide positive feedback once satisfied with my help. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Roger