Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I have a BMW 530d estate 2007. Both keys are not working.

I have a BMW 530d estate 2007. Both keys are not working. It's not the charging of them, there must be some electrical problem with the car's mechanism.

can you please clarify exactly what is not working?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both keys do not operate the central locking system, either to lock or unlock, except on very few random one-off occasions. Once I'm in the car the keys operate the ignition perfectly OK.

this could simply be two weak key batteries.

it could also be a problem with the remote receiver / central locking system on the vehicle

you can always check fuses as well, but this is unlikely to be fuse related.

a bmw garage has the equipment to check this quite easily so it should not be a difficult or time consuming diagnostic. more than likely you will require either a new key, or some parts replacement and/or reprogramming

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.