Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Bmw5 series with dull thump coming from engine on tick ove

Bmw5 series with dull thump coming from engine on tick over

it is difficult to diagnose a noise that one cannot hear.

please tell me, what information can I provide that would be helpful to you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Faint thump almost like heart beat coming from engine only on tick over though comes and goes

this is probably nothing to worry about but it should be verified hands on

it could be an emissions pump cycling or a belt driving component failing

ultimately the noise will need to be traced using a stethoscope and possibly by removing the belts and running the car without them briefly

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.