Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I have a 2006 X3 2.0 diesel, the engine is running the steering

I have a 2006 X3 2.0 diesel, the engine is running the steering has gone heavy and the battery light is lit up on the dash board

Hello and welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.\

this points to a broken or slipped or seized drive belt as it runs the power steering and the alternator which keeps the battery charged

you need to have the belt checked and/or replaced

you cannot drive the car like this.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle