Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

automatic gearbox sometimes feels like it's not engaged then

automatic gearbox sometimes feels like it's not engaged then goes with a thud and the revs just go right up for no reason any ideas
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
This could be a few things. Low fluid, an internal leak or clog, a solenoid/valve body issue, or even a software problem. I would suspect the valve body most likely.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.