Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

BMW 318i Touring, automatic,2001. The engine (83000 miles)

BMW 318i Touring, automatic,2001.
The engine (83000 miles) runs well with normal acceleration and speed.
But, just occasionally, say once on most urban journeys the engine fails to pick up from a stop or pause, creeping forward for a couple of seconds before responding normally to the pedal.
On rare occasions the engine will judder and cut out though it immediately fires up again when restarted.
No error messages have shown up on the diagnostic test.
Please let me know if this a known problem or of any clues to the likely cause.
no warning lights come on at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no warning lights.
can you provide the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN ******JY60669
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
thank you for your attention to the rating requirement
this is not a common problem but the probably causes would be a throttle body issue or fuel supply issue.
the way to avoid guess work in diagnosing this will be to have a bmw scan tool hooked up to the vehicle to monitor all inputs and outputs from engine control while replicating the issue. Any good BMW garage can preform this testing for a 1-2 hour labor charge.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.