Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Can I drive my bmw 1 series 118i Se with a worn valtronic

can I drive my bmw 1 series 118i Se with a worn valtronic assembly and worn hydraulic lifters and if so for how long. other issues i have been advised about are various oil leaks and slight noise from the timing chain.
the garage have already replaced a hydraulic lifter and vanos bolt. they said that the valtronic unit needed to be replaced because of wear and tear and that I could not drive it without doing this, but now say that it can be driven like that OK without replacement.
the car is old 2005 but low mileage 67,000. i bought it in March this year.
Does the car have any warning lights on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine block warning light and the oil pressure warning light.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

you should definitely NOT drive the car if the oil pressure warning light is on, you could destroy the engine if oil pressure is low.

Driving for a few weeks with worn valvetronic assembly and lifters would be okay, but still not a great idea to try to go too long without addressing the issues.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.