Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2009 320i with 100,000 miles. Engine light comes on

I have a 2009 320i with 100,000 miles. Engine light comes on from cold and error code 2A98 - synchronisation of inlet camshaft (bank 1) with crankshaft value outside range - comes up. Local garage says it needs new timing chain because it is loose, dealer who sold me car thinks it cannot be that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And the cars often judders in first gear, especially on a hill from start position.

hi how can I help you with this? what question did you have specifically?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to know how likely it is that the problem with the car is the timing chain if there is no rattling noise, the engine light coming on with code 2A98 and it stutters in first gear? Or is the stuttering unlikely to be related to the error code? In other words could there be a small problem with some sort of sensor on the car which is causing it to misfire?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no other error codes which is why the dealer who sold me the car told me that it cannot be the timing chain. My local garage looked inside the oil and tried to demonstrate the chain was loose, but as the dealer pointed out it is always a bit lose until the engine is running.I don;t want to have to waste thousands of pounds getting new timing chain when it could not be the cause of the juddering. It judders both from cold and hot and is not all the time. it seems worse on hill at stop and needs high revs to get going.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it seems fine when driving on motorway in 5-6 gears
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assume you cannot answer my question?

hi, this question was posted as low urgency, so there can be a delay in getting a response.

yes it is possible that it could be a cam or crank sensor that is the issue.

looking in the oil for signs of chain deterioration should be sufficient to determine if the chain is the issue or not. otherwise a factory bmw scan tool can be used to monitor live data from the engine management system and identify if a sensor or a chain issue is likely.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.