Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a bmw 520D tourer. HV59EKD the key fob has sudenely

Hi, I have a bmw 520D tourer. HV59EKD the key fob has sudenely stopped working. I have to lock with the manual key and when I unlock the alarm goes off. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: No. I thought the fob was cahrged from the car but didn't know there wasabattery in it. What do I do now.
Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2009
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to try to fix it mysalf if possible.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a charge for this help please?
Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the BMW Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
Did this happen with both keys at the same time?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not initially Steve, and regrettably, oml;y this week, I cannot find the second key!!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should clarify my last comment Steve. When the key stopped working a month ago I was told that as the second one had not been used that it would not have been charged up. I took my car for a 30 mile run and the key started working but alas when I did this the second time (aftr a drive of 200 miles) the key would still not open or lock doors. I have been trying to find the second key but it is not where I usually keep it which is a mystery. I am looking for it now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there |Steve?

sorry for the delay. does the car have keyless go? ie where you can keep the key in your pocket and still start the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I'm afraid not Steve

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

it sounds like both keys have dead batteries or are simply faulty in this case - you would need to order a new key or have your current one cut open to replace the sealed battery inside of it.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try that and thank you for your response. Regards. Chris Goodman
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your email Steve. Situation not quite resolved. Cannot find the second key unfortunately. Rang BMW garage who want nearly £200 to replace it !!! They suggested a diagnostic to identify which is the problem (key or receiver on the car) at a furtehr cost of £90 !! Considering what to do next and hoping the second key will turn up. Any thoughts? Regards Chris

if the key is missing you would want to purchase a second one regardless, so that is the path I would go down first. You do not want to own a bmw with only one key because you are one drop or spill away from being stranded if the one key goes bad.