Marty
Marty, BMW Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Why when starting my 316i e46 does the oil light come on

why when starting my 316i e46 does the oil light come on again after about 15 seconds and then remain on for a further 30 seconds is this normal or is it something to do with the engine management system or is it pressure build up in the crankcase

Hi Howard, my name is***** the oil light warning red or yellow?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yellow

Ok, that is your low oil level warning. If the oil level is correct it would indicate that the oil level sensor is not reading accurately. Replacing the sensor should solve the problem or you can ignore the warning.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
don't want phone call just printable answer

I understand. Did you receive my answer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
in relation to the engine where is this located and is this a job i can do for accessibility or has it got to go into bmw, thank you for the info
The sensor is located in the bottom of the oil pan. It is easily replaceable. If you post the last 7 digits of your vin number I can look up the part number for you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry yes i did receive your answer au 21246 is the vin number thanks
Ok, standby.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
standing by

The part number for the level sensor is 12 61 7 508 003.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you for your time today and have a good day

You're quite welcome.

If you would please take a moment to rate my service today I would appreciate it.