Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Can you help? I had a engine management light come up on my

Can you help? I had a engine management light come up on my 320i se 2005 plate and it lost a lot of power and had misfire issues, took it into bmw dealership who ran diagnostic. They explained it was throwing up 2 faults, water pump (which they advised not to mend as they though this was not the misfire problem) and also the camshaft sensor which they advised that this would solve the misfire issue. Agreed for this work to be carried out. Next day and they called to let me know my car had been taken on a test drive and all was well with no misfire issue, I could come and collect the car. An hour later, I received another call to say they could not get the car started, so could I leave it with them to charge the battery over night as they thought this was the problem. I called them the next day at 12ish as I thought it really couldn’t have been a better issue or they would have called already! They then told me that the technician had a further inverstigtion on the reason why the car would not start and had found parts of broken tensioner guides in the oil sump and that it was a possible timing chain issue. Technician needed to investigate further, next phone call confirmed that indeeed the timing chain had snapped in half. They have quoted me 2100 for all work to be carried out including the work already done ( sensor, diagnostic and new tyre). I explained that I am confused by a call being made to me to say the car ran perfect, to all of a sudden the car won’t start?? I took a “running “ car into them, and now I can’t even start the car and having to pay at least 462 for work already carried out! Any suggestions on if it is possible for timing chain to snap on the start up of the car after a sensor change? Should I question them more about how this has happened whilst car was in their care? I am a single parent (female, so don’t know much about cars) and am at a lost cause without my car????? Thanks

hi, a sensor change will not impact the timing chain at all

if it did in deed snap, that is 100% coincidental or unrelated to work being preformed. I would certainly question them more and speak with the service manager to better understand if anything else could have happened.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me if the fault relating to the sensor change is or is not a tell tell sign that there was a problem with the timing chain along with the other evident issues like misfire, and possible water pump issue? Or is there no sign that the technician could have noticed of the timing chain about to snap? What I mean is, I had gone in there explaining that I had recently purchased the car, I was not sure of the history and that I wanted a full inspection of the car... so there is no way of the technician picking up on the timing chain failure? Also,,, will the car run if the timing chain had broke on the test drive or it will of had to have snapped on start up? Thanks

Can you tell me if the fault relating to the sensor change is or is not a tell tell sign that there was a problem with the timing chain along with the other evident issues like misfire, and possible water pump issue? Or is there no sign that the technician could have noticed of the timing chain about to snap?

there wouldn't really be an issue to suspect the timing chain based on this

What I mean is, I had gone in there explaining that I had recently purchased the car, I was not sure of the history and that I wanted a full inspection of the car... so there is no way of the technician picking up on the timing chain failure?

it depends, if it was making noise or was loose and causing debris to collect in the sump, then yes, but if it snapped randomly, no

Also,,, will the car run if the timing chain had broke on the test drive or it will of had to have snapped on start up?

car will not run without a timing chain