Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Thanks for your time. I got a 2013 x1 2.0d x drive and i am

Customer Question

Hi. Thanks for your time. I got a 2013 x1 2.0d x drive and i am experiencing a whining noise from underneath at 60-70-80mph on motorway then when at trafic lights or stop and go traffic there is a knock or jolt when accelerating slightly and then taking the foot off the accelerator...car is fine aftet picking up speed. Had a check on computer and some issues came up. Codes. 4873. 452A. 4458. 4C3C. 4DF3. 465B. 465C. I have been informed that it may be the front transfer box. Only bought the car 2 weeks ago and not noticed until this Thursday aftet driving the car for a longer period.... could be a coincidence but Wednesday night i hit the kerb when turning into a side road on snow but did not have speed. The alloy got a bit more than scratched.... coud this be the problem and coud the hit caused it? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ps. Gearbox is 8 speed automatic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Another thing....if it helps... just got back from rugby to london and the whining and grinding noise was a bit more present in the cabin but noticed that at motorway left bend the noise was very loud then on straight was a bit quieter and on right bend i coud realy hear it... maybe this will add to your diagnostic i hope.... i read loads of threads about this noise and knock and it coud be different couses and one of them could be wrong tyres or worn out tyres... bought the car 2 weeks ago and it came with fairly new continental tyres (8mm deep thread mesured) but they are not run flats nor star rated as I found out they need to be.... but still not convinced that some tyres can damage a part like that...or could be the kerb hit.... or it could be something else other than the transfer box
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks... wait for your response and some advice
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you no longer need help post a simple reply to let me know.

I don't suspect the curb hit caused this issue here.This sounds like a fault internally in the gear box or transfer box causing this fault.This can be worn or damaged bearings needing to be replaced or a gear that is failing to need to be replaced.You will need to have this inspected further to locate which component is at fault causing this issue needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete