Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I'm planning to buy a second hand BMW 118d, 63ref with 130k

I'm planning to buy a second hand BMW 118d, 63ref with 130k miles on the clock. There is a warning message on the clock that says: " Drivetrain. Possible to continue journey. Have the problem checked by service". Do you have any idea how to resolve this problem?
Thanks you.
Krzysztof

hello and welcome

this warning simply menas that a fault has been sensed by the engine computer.

it is not specific to any one thing, and can be triggered by dozens and dozens of different faults.
it could be a simple sensor having gone bad, or something far more catastrophic

the only way to know for sure what is triggering the warning will be to have the vehicle scanned with a BMW scan tool.

the likely cause is something related to the fuel system (fuel pump, injectors, etc) but there is no way to know without a scan

I would strongly advise you to invest in a full, professional pre-purchase inspection prior to buying, and definitely not buy unless/until this issue is resolved.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Is there any likely/known failures that develop with age and mileage on this specific model? I have an OBD tool that I once used in my BMW e46 2001. Do you think I could use it to read the DTC's? And are you sure that from DTC it would be possible to resolve this problem, without having to perform other extensive/expensive tests.

turbo, starter and fuel pump failures are common at this mileage
if it happens to be an auto box, that could also be problematic
finally, the cooling system and suspension will probably be in need of a refresh soon
you can try your code reader, it may or may not pull codes in this case.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you. please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is manual. The warning is on 8th photo. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/63-BMW-118D-SE-NICE-SPEC-ALLOYS-COLOUR-MEDIA-SCREEN-CLIMATE-1-F-OWNER-/282867918130?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7rH0yhZfVgjPFOgasIQBw5I%252F388%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
From what I read online, the rather more common reaction to the fault is the message that says: " use the vehicle at moderate speeds. full performance not available. have the problem checked by the service", which sounds more severe to the one I am enquiring about. How expensive would it be to fix it it was turbo, starter and pump at once?
Probably 5k to do all that work. You absolutely need to have the faults read out and this issue corrected before buying. Guessing at it and risking it isn’t worth it. Please do not forget to select a positive rating
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks