Marty
Marty, BMW Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Why is it when I turn on my heater I get the smell of

Why is it when I turn on my heater I get the smell of burning and smoke coming from the the back left side of the engine I have a BMW 320i 2008

Hi, my name is***** than likely you have an oil leak at the back of the engine that is dripping onto the exhaust and burning. When you turn the heater on you bring the odor into the cabin. If you are not losing coolant I suspect what you are smelling and seeing is an oil leak. Most likely the leak is coming from the valve cover gasket but you will need a proper inspection done to determine the source of the leak

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long would the job take and how much should I expect to pay ?

Can you post the last 7 digits of your vin number for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A099767

I don't have the specific labor time for the 320i as I am in the US and we do not see that car over here. A comparable car would be the 228i. I show 4 hours labor to replace the gasket and about $50 in parts. I would expect no more than that on your car.