Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2008 E93 convertible,the roof is working fine but

Customer Question

I have a 2008 E93 convertible,the roof is working fine but the motor hydraulic reservoir shows the fluid level to be just below the + sign on the reservoir!
How exactly do I top up the oil? where is the fill plug?and are special tools required?
I assume no hydraulic lines need to be disconnected
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Hello what is the last 7 of the cin?
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Vin, pardon the typo
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Steve
Full vin number :-WBAWK72070P292034
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

thanks for confirming the vin

Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

here are the instructions you requested: https://app.box.com/s/p8d5arrj3rc8k20pxburalesqaan0j4p

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Steve
The photos you have sent are not of the E93 hydraulic motor/reservoir,at least not my E93!
The oil level is not indicated by a dot but a + sign and more importantly the filler plug is not at the top of the reservoir.Having investigated further by removing a large foam ring around the end of the reservoir,cutting cable ties around hydraulic lines and tilting the whole unit upwards the filler plug is at the end of the reservoir in the centre,so the unit has to be tilted to top up the oil.Now that I can see the filler plug clearly only a simple Allen key is required to remove it.Not the best piece of engineering from BMW or its supplier.At least you can use this information for your records!