Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a BMW 1180 convertible I tried to put the roof down

Customer Question

Hello I have a BMW 1180 convertible I tried to put the roof down today and there was a beeping sound when I pressed the button and a red light, nothing moved then there was a pic of a roof on the dashboard, can you tell me what I need to do to attempt to rectify this, were finally getting some sunshine ha ha
Category: BMW
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This will occur when a fault is detected with one of the roof's micro switches/position switches sending a false signal on what position the roof is in.There are several of these on your model that work in aid with the operation of the roof itself.When one fails it sends an incorrect signal causing this issue here.

What ha to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle for any codes set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this issue here.In some cases, the scan tool/computer is used to monitor the position switches to help locate which one is faulty then that one can be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete