Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

It’s a bmw 316i 2010 model it’s cranking but won’t start.

It’s a bmw 316i 2010 model it’s cranking but won’t start. And then ABS sign comes on .
Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: No I have not checked that. It just won’t start . It cranks but will not start . And the ABS sign comes on. What could be the cause
Assistant: Are you fixing your 318i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’m planning to call a truck to take to the garage . It’s a 316i
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that’s just about it. Cranks funny sound but will not start and ABS sign comes. But will not start. Last used it last night and all was ok. Only this morning not start
Hi how can I help you with this? What was your specific question ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What could be the cause of it not starting
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just need to know the possible cause

The vehicle is not starting because it is either not getting spark, or not getting fuel.

No spark would most commonly be caused by a bad crank sensor, bad main relay or bad engine control unit. Sometimes it can also be key or anti-theft related.

No fuel would be caused by a blown fuel pump fuse, clog/blockage/bro***** *****ne of some kind, bad fuel pump relay (if fitted), or bad fuel pump. Relay failures are quite rare, however.

Depending on your abilities and equipment/tools, you may or may not be able to diagnose further.

The simplest thing to do (after checking the fuel pump fuse) would be to spray quick start / starter fluid into the intake (carefully) while cranking. If the engine starts on this, then you have spark and the problem lies with fuel delivery and can be further traced from there.

Another check would be for power at the fuel pump, and to see if it is running or not. If power is present and it is not running, it is confirmed as having failed. If the pump is running, pressure may not be correct, so it also needs to be tested.

If I had to give a guess, I would say it is likely a bad fuel pump.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response took it to the bmw diagnosis Centre and the machine indicated no problem at all with the car but it seems the battery was dying.. since I bought the car in 2010 brand new I had never replaced the battery. So they put a new one and it started well without any problem. I will update you tomorrow mornyafter taking the kids to school on it’s perfomance. Thank you for your time and input. You were helpful to me
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning. The same scenario has happened again it didn’t start

if the car was cranking without starting that wouldn't point to a battery

if it is still cranking and not starting, my answer above stands

if it was a battery problem yesterday, you can try jump starting to see if that hleps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. The same problem happened again today and the car won’t start. Same
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diagnostic machine at the garage said all was ok yesterday and they changed the battery and today same thing in morning like yesterday not start