daniel holmes
daniel holmes,
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at marshalls audi barnstaple
105609660

My rear left light cluster has stopped working and I’m

Hi, my rear left light cluster has stopped working and I’m looking for some information on what steps to take? Thanks in advance
Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Rear left tail, brake and indicator
Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 420d 63 reg
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to get some info to see if it’s an easy fix, I’ve replaced bulbs and not had any success
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi there I am Dan and would like to help with your problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dan, what do you think I should do?
Have you checked any relavant fuses that may power that individual cluster? if all ok i would advise to check for a 12 volt feed to one of the none working bulbs.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok and if this comes back low what does that mean?
I would advise to check the cluster with a good battery voltage, firstly take a refarance battery voltage and compare to what you have at the cluster. If the voltage is significanly lower then i would presume you have a high resistance in the live (possible broken or corroded wire). Make sure you use a good known earth when testing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Aright Dan thanks for your help

If the voltage Comes back ok, i would then advise checking the earth connection on the cluster. Using a multimeter go accross the good live and earth connection and check the voltage, comparing against battery voltage. If the voltage is lower you have a bad earth connection

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it common for one cluster to go if it’s the battery?

It wont be a battery issue, I just reccomend you check the battery voltage before checking any other voltage supplys on the vehicle. I would advise you check the connecting plug that is on the cluster for any water infiltration also.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright dan well thanks again I’ll give this a go in the morning if I have anymore questions I’ll be back

Good luck any more questions please do not hesitate to send a question