Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I just recently had my timing belt replaced, now when I

Customer Question

hi I just recently had my timing belt replaced, now when I drive the car after about a mile I have a very brief loss of power where the engine light turns red for a plit second and then a number of dahsboard lights then come on my vehicle is a 318ci BMW coupe - 2004
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: my mechanic changed one of the coil packs which cleared the dhsboard lights - the car ran okay for after using it a couple of times (diving max 3-4 miles each time). but today I drove for about a mile and then had the same issue this was then followed by a little loss of power
JA: What is the model of your '04 BMW?
Customer: 318ci
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: BMW
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I help you with this ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please

Have you got any trouble codes ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not checked the fuses or dashbaord bulbs - is it likely to be the fuses? - the card was driving okay for a while when they replaced a coil pack
no I am not a mechanic and do not have any trouble codes to giev you unfortunately
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the mechanic did say initally that the the coil pack was messing with the electrics that then gives off the dashboard lights if that helps?

Is the MIL light on all the time now ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thats the engine icone right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is yellow

Yes is it intermittent ie runs fine runs rough then runs fine ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is correct -
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yesterday I got the engine light for a split second - then other dashboard ligths came on but the car drove fine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i left it over night and all the ligths had cleared except for the MIL - again the car drove fine for about a mile then I got the battery light for a split second then other lights came back on, i then suffered intermittent loss of power when driving
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yesterday I suffered no loss of power when the lights came one, but this morning I suffered loss of power after the lights came on

you need to get all the trouble codes including the body ECU or we are just going round in circles as it is possible of what you are saying there is more than one issue .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the mechanic might have mentioned something about issue with valvetronic something or other - could it be linked to that at all? - like is said the car was running fine before the timing belt was changed

As it was running fine pre timing belt then we have to back track and look at it from a different angle that is why I wanted to have a discussion .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
now that I think about it, i do recall loss of power prior to the timing belt replacement - intermittent and at gears one and two
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
apologies - i do not drive the car that much - it only does about 3-4 miles a day on average

You need to get me some trouble codes to move on with this.