sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a bmw x5 e70 40D Is very nice car and I like but I

Customer Question

I have a bmw x5 e70 40D
Is very nice car and I like but I seem to have a small problem when use brakes on traffic, After a while driving I keep getting this vibrating noise when I break but only when in D gear while at stand still, It seems to do it on reverse as well so I assume it might be something to do with brake/server or something. It has been doing it a bit for the last few years but it seems to be getting a bit worse now, the other day I started the car I had no foot brakes at all, the pedal was so hard but few mins after got back to normal. I tried to do obd scan but errors codes came ip so I am guessing it might be something mechanical?Thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** happy to wait a bit
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 5 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, have you performed maintenance recently to the brakes like replacing pads?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Sebastian. No I have not performed any maintenance to the brakes.

Dear customer, I understand your query and I am worried that you have not been maintaining the brake system lately. What i want to explain to you is that through an obd equipment it is very likely that you do not have error codes this because the obd equipment does not throw error codes concerning the ABS system because they do not have access to the ABS module.

Now dear customer, this fault worries me because you have run out of brake and you have a very important feature that is that the brake was placed very hard on the pedal and this happens many times when the servo is defective and does not have the ability to generate the pressure,adjust the braking system so the pedal gets hard due to pressure problems.

What I recommend you first is a review of the atarting sytem with the brake pads then a verification of the connections in the calipers and a review of the state of the same, if all this is correct and there are no problems in the system, there we proceed to a verification of a joint servo with a maintenance that consists mainly of a replacement of the internal rubbers that is common to be damaged over time causing this type of problems accompanied by this type of noise

I recommend you verify this as soon as possible to avoid accidents because there is no problem when this type of problem is stopped or at low speed, the problem is that the system can fail at a high speed or at a time where you require a hard and fast braking.
Do you understand me dear customer?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Sebastian, thank you for your response. Does this thing seems common to you on this type of vehicle ? The brakes went stiff only one time but the noise when you brake and are on standstill D gear with foot on brakes seems to be every time you brake and it goes after 10-20-30 seconds.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 4 days ago.

Dear customer, as you will understand i can not determine and from my position if it really is a characteristic noise but very probably it is not as I do not remember a noise when braking or being in D.

In addition, if the brake was placed so hard once this is concerning, it is why I insist that it is best that you do a good review of the brake system as indicated previously and also its maintenance to the brake systems and it have to be checked and maintained regularly and from what I see you have time without performing this type of maintenance it is very likely that here is the inconvenience and with its normal maintenance the problem will be sorted.