CarDoc
CarDoc, Vehicle Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

My battery is dead in both my key fobs. Its a 2005 BMW 1

my battery is dead in both my key fobs. Its a 2005 BMW 1 series (E87) so i refuse to pay almost half the cars value to get new keys! I'm currently locking and unlocking the door with the small metal key from inside the fob. When i unlock, the alarm goes off until i place the fob in the slot on the dashboard. It's a bit of a pain having the alarm go off every time. How can i disconnect my alarm? Happy to not alarm the car, it's only worth about £1000!
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: The battery in the key fob?
JA: Are you fixing your 1 Series yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the batteries in both key fobs are dead. They are sealed units so the batteries cannot be easily replaced. I did break one open and replace with a new battery but this didn't work. I'm fine with opening and locking the doors with the small metal key but want to deactivate the alarm from going off every time i enter the car
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not paying over the top fees for a new set of keys and i've tried to replace batteries and that hasnt worked. I'm happy just to disconnect the audible alarm but need to know how
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ll wait

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Apologies for the delay, sometimes it can take a while for your question to be answered, depending on the availabilty of the experts and the complexity of the question.

Can I help with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’m trying to stop my alarm going off each time I enter the car using the metal “emergency” key

To replace the battery, pull the metal key out of the fob, use a flat blade screwdriver to open the key fob.

Please see this VIDEO. It's easier for you to understand rather than me explaining through messages.

The key is not being detected, that is why the alarm sounds.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ve tried a new battery (it’s not the type that opens with a flat blade screwdriver, it’s the sealed unit.
Replacing battery didn’t work.
I’ve checked fuses in the car and all relevant ones are fine.
I’m thinking of replacing the interior mirror as this can be a problem. Also the diversity unit.
I’m happy to keep opening the door using the key for now but this question is more specifically about silencing the alarm. In some countries, the car is coded so that entering the car with the key deactivates the alarm.
I either want advice on this or how to silence the alarm altogether.

The only option you have is to remove the fuse for the alarm siren. Give me a moment, I will check which fuse it is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That’d be great. It’s a 2005 E87 5 door 116

Fuse number 19 (glove box compartment) is for the alarm & siren but you must note that is shared for the comfort access module so, it will disable this too.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great. Thanks. Comfort access, as in opening all the windows?

Welcome. I believe comfort access is keyless entry where you can simply open the locked car door with the key in your pocket.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car doesn’t have keyless entry so it should be fine. Thanks

That'll be fine then.

All the best and thank you for using JA.

I hope I have answered your question, if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please don't forget to leave a 5-star rating. Your rating benefits me and helps me build my reputation. It is also a way to thank me for using my time and expertise to respond to customers. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Glad I could help :) All the best!

CarDoc, Vehicle Technician
Experience: IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Removing the fuse and it worked. Hazard lights still flash when entering the car but no audible alarm. Thanks for your help. Been searching for weeks for an answer to that.

Happy to help :) Glad it's sorted.

.