Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I’have replaced set of wheels with winter tyres and new

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I’have replaced set of wheels with winter tyres and new sensors.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Does tyre pressure sensor needs to be programmed? It comes only to 49% and can go any further?
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 320d GT 2015
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: In a local garage. Now I find out that they do not know anything about sensors
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sensors bought from eBay with the description exactly for this car.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am ok to wait
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hi..there..

Normally it can be done manaully via idrivewhich has the reset for TPM,then drive the vehicle for 30minutes ,but if they have a TPMS testing tool to make sure the sensor is activated properly..plus the idea they where purchased from ebay doesnt sound encouraging..unless they are genuine BMW sensors.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi thanks for you ur response . Can you tell me what Idrive is?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Because the sensors are genuine, I just need to know how to activate thеm, is this something I can do myself?!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Without needing to go to an official garage
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Idrive is the computer info screen - you got to vehicle info - vehicle status - the scroll right to TPM reset.. if you dont have that fitted then it will have to be reset diagnostically or using a tpms reset tool..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I have tried to use the I drive to reset , however it only gets to about 49% , then displays an error message, system failure. Do you advise still I have to drive for the the 30 minutes still? I’ve only driven 15-20 minutes so far
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hmm.. sounds like it could be bad sensor or faulty valve stem then..are you sure all wheels are upto to correct pressures..sometimes if the pressure isnt what i should be it it can cause reseting issues..id be more inclined to get these sensors checked out..and tpms reset tool can test them..you might of bought a faulty one or its possibily been damaged during installation..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If one valve is faulty , would this affect the whole system?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Yes..the TPMS module needs to receive signal from all sensors to reset..if not giving out frequency or is damaged the system wont reset..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

No problem..hopefully you get it sorted out...if you need ask anything else then jsut continue here... in the meantime if you could leave a rating for assisting you today it be much appreciated..