Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I’have replaced set of wheels with winter tyres and new

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I’have replaced set of wheels with winter tyres and new sensors.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Does tyre pressure sensor needs to be programmed? It comes only to 49% and can go any further?
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 320d GT 2015
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: In a local garage. Now I find out that they do not know anything about sensors
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sensors bought from eBay with the description exactly for this car.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I am ok to wait
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Hi..there..

Normally it can be done manaully via idrivewhich has the reset for TPM,then drive the vehicle for 30minutes ,but if they have a TPMS testing tool to make sure the sensor is activated properly..plus the idea they where purchased from ebay doesnt sound encouraging..unless they are genuine BMW sensors.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi thanks for you ur response . Can you tell me what Idrive is?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Because the sensors are genuine, I just need to know how to activate thеm, is this something I can do myself?!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Without needing to go to an official garage
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Idrive is the computer info screen - you got to vehicle info - vehicle status - the scroll right to TPM reset.. if you dont have that fitted then it will have to be reset diagnostically or using a tpms reset tool..

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Well I have tried to use the I drive to reset , however it only gets to about 49% , then displays an error message, system failure. Do you advise still I have to drive for the the 30 minutes still? I’ve only driven 15-20 minutes so far
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Hmm.. sounds like it could be bad sensor or faulty valve stem then..are you sure all wheels are upto to correct pressures..sometimes if the pressure isnt what i should be it it can cause reseting issues..id be more inclined to get these sensors checked out..and tpms reset tool can test them..you might of bought a faulty one or its possibily been damaged during installation..

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If one valve is faulty , would this affect the whole system?
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Yes..the TPMS module needs to receive signal from all sensors to reset..if not giving out frequency or is damaged the system wont reset..

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

No problem..hopefully you get it sorted out...if you need ask anything else then jsut continue here... in the meantime if you could leave a rating for assisting you today it be much appreciated..