Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

My bmw 1 series radio, indicators, heaters, and any

Customer Question

My bmw 1 series radio, indicators, heaters, and any electrical device points used for example a car charger, will just cut off and stop working as I’m still driving. This sometimes happens for a good 10-30mins before coming back on, but will keep cutting off. However the car still drives fine as this is happening
Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: No I haven’t but the car has recently been serviced, but I forgot to mention it to the mechanic as it only happens when you are driving
Assistant: What is the model of your '10 BMW?
Customer: 1 séries 1.6 litre
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve not tried anything yet but I wanted to get an understanding of what was the problem before taking it to a mechanic
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, could this also be the reason why my parking sensors and car chargers or aux leads stopped working?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully i can help.

Your BMW should be subject to a recall by the manufacturer for this problem. It involves a connection fault to the fusebox and BMW should rectify this under warranty.

If you go to the GOV.UK website here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.189403566.489994332.1573025976-1978748023.1570184394

and put in your registration number it will give you the details, you should then contact BMW to arrange the work. This will be done under warranty, the problem is potentially dangerous and should be attended to as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me any further details.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

You can continue to ask questions about this even after you have clicked accept.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The car has been recalled by BMW last year and they said everything was fine, so I’m confused

I would ask them to recheck it, there was a second recall actioned and the symptoms you have are those which the recall was issued for. The problem would appear to be related to the fusebox and this is certainly the reason the recall was issued.

I would go back to the dealer and explain your concern indicating that the symptoms are those the recall was actioned for. I would insist that they recheck any remedial work initially carried out.

I hope this answers your question, but do get back to me if needed I am here to answer any questions.

Steve

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Your welcome do let me know how you get on.

Steve

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just clicked on the link and entered my registration, they said that on the last recal the found no safety issues with the car, however they did say to ring the dealership if I believe this information was incorrect

I would ring the dealership and voice your concerns, explain the issue you are having and tell them you have been advised it is related to the problems that were subject to the recall.

Steve