Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I had a message appear on the dash saying full performance

Customer Question

I had a message appear on the dash saying full performance not available, drive moderately and get problem checked by a service centre, drivetrain issue. Tonight I go out in my car and lost all power completely, I car won’t rev at all like no boost, so I’m thinking turbo related and if I do hold the power flat down in Neutral, it finally builds up the revs and sounds like a horrible tinkering noise?
Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It did fluctuate then it got worse and worse, now it’s complete loss
Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: Bmw 3 series f30 / 2013
Assistant: What year is your BMW?
Customer: 2013
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I’ve tried cause I need it for work tomorrow, I tried looking at the inter cooler pipes that connect to the turbo but no splits or anything that I can see or feel of, that’s it!
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’ll pay him a good rate to come fix it now haha but not as of yet thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much, I am ok to wait for my answer. Thanks
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay, my name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help you.

The problem could be associated with many different components, and as you suspected the intercooler hoses are likely suspect. You have checked them already but it won't hurt to just re-check them, looking for any oily signs on the intercooler hoses. A small split can sometimes be difficult to find, but any area which has been breeched will normally have signs of oil around it.

The MAF sensor is another common failure point, you do not mention if your BMW is petrol or diesel, but if it is diesel then often by disconnecting the MAF sensor you may be able to restore power for a short period. This will bring on the management light but may give a clue to the problem.

The codes do need to be read from the system to give an accurate idea of what the problem is.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue. Even
After clicking accept you can continue to ask further questions on the matter by replying to this thread.
Many Thanks
Steve