CarDoc
CarDoc, Vehicle Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

My 2 series has an internal fault and needs the whole

Hello. My 2 series has an internal fault and needs the whole gearbox replacing. Is this normal for a 16 plate ? I’ve done 48,000 miles and it’s a Diesel engine. Also it needs de-coking and I’m wondering if this caused the internal fault but the engine light did not come on to warn me. thanks
Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: I took it to original bmw garage I bought it from and their diagnostics informed me of these faults. No codes sorry
Assistant: What is the model of your '16 BMW?
Customer: 2 Series gran tourer
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: only informed yesterday. Garage wants approx £10,000 to put new gear box in and sort the de coke!
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you think I have a case? I don’t think this is right.

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Have you taken the car to an independant garage for a second opinion (not a main dealer)? I wouldn't blindly go off what a main dealer says. There are many independant BMW specialists about.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Booked in for Monday. In the meantime, is it safe to drive long distance? Am only driving on school runs etc.

I don't understand what "internal fault" is so, I can't comment on the safety but I wouldn't recommend going on a long journey. Is the car affected by this fault when driving? Are there any noises? Has it lost power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’m unsure what the internal fault is either. That’s what they told me. There is a list of power when driving.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No noise

I think you should wait until the independant garage connects their diagnostic scanner to check the fault codes stored. Main dealers never tell you the fault codes because the customer may go elsewhere and get it repaired. "internal fault" could be a wiring issue or a control module failed and they can be repaired/replaced using online repair services.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think carbon build up could have caused the fault in the gearbox?

Carbon build only happens in the engine + components, not gearbox. Is your gearbox auto/manual?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Auto.
I believe carbon filter are installed into newer cars to reduce emission and that buyer should have been warned especially buying a Diesel engine that build up can occur. Is this true? Also the warning light should have come on telling me this. Is this also correct?

I believe you're referring to the DPF. The carbon only affects engine cylinders, valves, air intake components, turbo, exhaust. The gearbox has nothing to do with it.

If the gearbox has actually failed, it will be a mechanical failure of the components inside which are inside a sealed unit. You need more information than "internal fault" and I highly doubt that the BMW diagnostic scanner just stated "internal fault", each fault has it's own fault code/related code which is stored when a fault occurs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it normal to have to have a new gear box in a 3 year old car that’s done 48,000 miles?

No, it's not normal. A transmission should be for the life of the car. A second opinion is very important at this time, main dealers love changing parts so, I wouldn't trust them so quickly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great thx so much. Will let you know what other info I may need once I get 2nd opinion.

Welcome :) i'll be available to help, just message back on here.