Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have put a (refundable) deposit down on a BMW X5 E70 but I

I have put a (refundable) deposit down on a BMW X5 E70 but I have been told that the electronic tailgate function is not working- the boot only open manually and it is very tricky to open and close easily.
Assistant: What year is your X5?
Customer: 2008
Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven’t tried anything yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i would just like to get an idea of what the issues could be to look out for- in order to get it working again

Thank you for your question, my name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help you.

The failure of the rear boot opening system is quite common and as it hasn't been fixed I would suspect it is the power rams, these need replacing as a pair and Are around £800 (estimate I haven't bought any for a couple of years)

The BMW could be put on a diagnostic to confirm, but I am sure that if the fault was anything easy like the fuse, then it would have been fixed already. Another possibility is that the control unit has failed, but the struts are the most likely.

I would certainly factor this into the purchase price.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept you can ask further questions by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve