Marc Webster
Marc Webster,
Experience:  mechanic at sw autos
107219462

59 plate 3 series heater only blows mildly warm air. Full

Customer Question

59 plate 3 series heater only blows mildly warm air. Full diagnosis says all vents are opening on demand. New thermostat fitted. Dash control for heat direction has no effect. Can you help please?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: Coolant level checked Thermostat checked and working ok
JA: What is the model of your '59 BMW?
Customer: 3 series Touring M sports
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Car has been to specialist diagnosis firm who checked all relevant switches and vent controls. All appear to be working ok
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I have given all info I know
Category: BMW
Expert:  Marc Webster replied 6 months ago.
did they check the heater matrix isnt blocked, this can cause limited coolant to pass through and cause the symptoms you are experiencing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm pretty sure that was checked but I will not be able to confirm that until tomorrow
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have spoken to the engineer who carried out the diagnostic tests and all he can say is that the heater matrix seemed to be working ok. obviously I am not sure what that really means!
when you say the dash control has no effect. i believe you nay have a problem with the blend motor that directs hot or cold air. i wpuld recommend taking back to the garage and to check yhe air mixture motors are working as it sounds as one has siezed especially with not making a difference wich way the dial is