CarDoc
CarDoc, Vehicle Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I Have 06 plate Mini. The car has been having issues by bit

Hi there ,I Have 06 plate Mini Cooper. The car has been having issues by bit starting. It happened on two occasions . Both times I had to call AA. First time around the guy said it’s starting motor. He managed to run some diagnostics and nothing came up. Battery is ok. He banged the starting mirror and the car started . Fee days later ( after not using the car for 3 days), the same thing happened. AA come out and the guy checked again everything and he told me to take it to the garage as he thinks it’s electric issue.I took it to the garage who ran diagnostics -and the car started every time. They have done the reading in starting motor and it would appear taht the reading is higher than usually so he is recommended to change it.My question is - if I change the starting motor, episode the issue continue? I’m worried that this maybe the case. The car is old and it doesn’t warrant spending so much money on it.Could there be anything else wring with it?

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Did the car start straightaway when the AA guy knocked the starter?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Yes

The starter will need replacement. It is the starter solenoid that is sticking, which engages the starter spindle to the flywheel. When you knock the starter, it gives a little kick to the solenoid.

Hope this helps.