Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I think my garage carried out your reccommends and have not

i think my garage carried out your reccommends and have not found the problem yet/ can you offer any other possable cure for the steering freezing when driving on motorway okay on local roads thanks

If the garage have checked all the external swivels and joints as mentioned before, then the problem sounds as though it may be in the steering system itself, these are particularly expensive units and I am presuming yours is the type with an assisting electric motor on the valve housing of the power steering rack. It is possibly this motor which is failing.

This company may be able to advise on if a re-build is possible and at what price.

I hope this help, but do ask any further details if needed.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my garage informs me that the power steering is at fault in the steering rack my question is how long should it take to replace the steering rack and what other things have to be done eg tracking to be done ect ect thanks

The job time for replacing the rack is 2.9 hours and the tracking will then need to be reset. I have attached a list of the details.

The time taken overall depends on if the garage are going to send your unit for repair or fit a replacement unit, the replacement will be quicker but sending your unit for repair should be more economical.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the clutch shudders when taking off from starting my question is is it costly to replace a clutch and how long should this job take car details bmb the 520d year 2010 thanks

The labour to replace the clutch is 3.75 hours and the clutch unit is around £150.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when I asked about the clutch I am informed its the flywheel my question is how long to replace the flywheel and cost thanks

Hi the flywheel job time is 0.5 hours on top of the clutch time, I am presuming the flywheel is a DMF unit and that will be around £300.

Steve